Thirty years ago, Dr. Florence Muindi was given a vision – to mobilize the local Church to restore health, renew hope and inspire lasting transformation for Africa's most vulnerable children and families. Over the next few years, the vision crystallized and Dr. Florence founded Life In Abundance International.
In 1996, Dr. Muindi piloted her first sustainable development program among the
Massai in rural Kenya.
In 1999, LIA was formally established as a non-profit development organization in
In 2002, LIA was officially incorporated in the USA as a 501(c)(3) non-profit.
In 2004, LIA was formally recognized as an NGO in Kenya.
In 2006, LIA expanded its transformational development efforts to Egypt and the
Horn of Africa region.
In 2008, LIA formalized its non-profit status in South Sudan.
In 2009, LIA was formally established in North Sudan (now Sudan).
In 2012, LIA began piloting work in Jamaica and Haiti.
In 2013, LIA formalized status in Jamaica and established the LIA Training Center
Today, Life In Abundance is comprised of a team of 150 people serving across 10
nations with more than 30 active transformational community initiatives.
Since LIA’s first program was implemented:
- 200 churches in 75 communities have been trained and empowered to implement sustainable solutions to their most pressing problems
- More than 830,000 people have received primary health care and health education by LIA’s local church partners
- Nearly 3,700 community health and resource workers have been trained
- 900 families have been economically empowered through micro-loans and income generation activities
- More than 2,000 people have been trained in skills development programs